- JHM R Series Lightweight Flywheel and Clutch Combo for B8 A4-A5 2.0T-3.2L FSI
JHM R Series Lightweight Flywheel and Clutch Combo for B8 A4-A5 2.0T-3.2L FSI
Select options & add to cart to view final price
JHM R Series Lightweight Flywheel (Chrome-Moly Forged) and Clutch Combo for B7-RS4
Select options & add to cart to view final price
Exhaust - Race Pipe - Stainless Steel (JHM) for B9 S4-S5 3.0T$1,195.00Add to Cart | Wishlist
Flywheel and Clutch Combo (LUK-OEM updated) for 04 and up B6-B7 S4
Select options & add to cart to view final price
INTRODUCING THE JHM B8 A4-A5 2.0T AND 3.2L FSI R-SERIES LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL AND CLUTCH COMBO!!!
After years of research, development, prototyping, and testing we are finally ready to release our long awaited Lightweight Flywheel and Clutch Combo for the B8 A4-A5 2.0T-3.2L FSI! We began developing B8 Lightweight Flywheels in 2011 and selling our S4-S5 version since 2013. We like to test all of our products for an extended period of time to verify the durability and longevity of the part before selling it publicly.
CONCEPT AND DEVELOPMENT:
The OEM Flywheel on the B8 A4 and A5 is a completely new design and a significant departure from Audi's previous flywheel designs. Instead of having the traditional single piece flywheel (i.e. the traditional "dual-mass flywheel") that just bolts to the back of the motor, the B8 A4-A5 flywheel is a two-piece, hourglass shaped, unit which allows Audi to position the motor further back in the chassis for better weight distribution. This is achieved by running a half-shaft through the narrow part of the hourglass shape in the flywheel. This major design change presented a new challenge for us.
OEM B8 A4-A5 FLYWHEEL, 2-PIECE: B8 A4-A5 2.0T and 3.2L FSI Flywheels are dimensionally the same with the only differences being small weight variations and different part numbers.
Beginning in 2011, we tested out our B8 Lightweight Flywheel concept by drilling out the rivets on the OEM unit and re-using the lower half of the OEM flywheel. We replaced the upper, cast-iron, dual-mass flywheel piece with a prototype version of a lightweight aluminum piece that we built in house. Once we were satisfied with the performance of our prototype, we went on making our own lower base out of machined steel, which can be seen above. This was done by completely re-engineering the overall unit for an optimal balance of strength and weight reduction.
This early on research and development for the B8 S4 and S5 has been the building blocks for us to be able to develop the ULTIMATE Lightweight Clutch and Flywheel Combo for the B8 A4-A5 with the 2.0T and 3.2L engines.
WHY A LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL?
Replacing the OEM, cast-iron, dual-mass flywheel with a single-mass, lightweight, aluminum piece reduces the overall weight of the rotating assembly of the motor. This frees up power in the motor and leads to increased throttle responsiveness. Changing the upper portion of the OEM flywheel to a single-mass unit also eliminates the potential for failure of the dual-mass unit. This is especially important on high-horsepower cars. Finally, the JHM Lightweight Flywheel offers the additional advantage of having a removable friction liner. If you end up replacing your clutch and pressure plate at a later date, you don't need to replace the entire flywheel OR worry about re-surfacing it (which - as of August 2013 - has yet to be done successfully for this large of a unit). Resurfacing would also not be cost effective due to tooling and fixture costs for such a tall, dual-mass flywheel. All you need to do is just replace the removable friction liner. Additionally, we designed the B8 A4-A5 flywheel to work with our proven B8 S4-A5 Clutch Packages!
WHY THE JHM R-SERIES CLUTCH KIT?
Since 2010, we have been working on developing a proprietary performance clutch kit for the B6-B7 S4 and RS4. After years of research, prototyping, and in-car abuse we were able to release the JHM R Series Clutch Kits for the B6-B7 S4 and RS4 with excellent results. After the huge success of these clutch kits on our instant torque producing V8s, we decided that we had to get this clutch kit on the B8 S4-S5.
Our years of research and development of this clutch kit have led to the creation of our JHM R Series Pressure Plate. This pressure plate is a non-SAC (self-adjusting clutch) style pressure plate. This allows to run a set of more aggressive discs to hold more power and withstand even more abuse. For example, the shock that our proprietary ceramic 6-puck disc would put on the OEM pressure plate would destroy the SAC.
The diaphragm on our R Series Pressure plate is a custom design that we worked for years on to get just right. We designed it specifically for these cars and their throw-out bearings. We did not simply take another pressure plate that works in another brand car and try to make a "band-aid" solution with spacers or other shortcuts to make the pressure plate work for an Audi.
JHM R Series Clutch Kit (Clutch Disc and Pressure Plate): Our R Series Clutch Kits feature your choice of 3 different clutch disc materials: Stage 1 R is a performance organic disc and Stage 5 R is a 6-puck disc featuring our proprietary ceramic material. You can chose your clutch disc material from the drop down menu below. We recommend our Stage 1 R Performance Organic Clutch Disc to those looking to get the best compromise between daily driveability and torque holding capacity. Our Stage 3 R disc offers the ultimate combination of daily driveability, torque holding capacity, and durability for back to back to back pulls. Our Stage 5 R Clutch Disc is the ULTIMATE clutch disc for your B8. The Stage 5 R is a 6-puck clutch disc featuring our proprietary performance ceramic material making it the most aggressive clutch solution that we offer to date. This is clutch disc that we are currently running in our in-house B8-S5. Anyone planning on doing more than the occasional track day should consider the 5R. NOTE: The 1R Disc is more than enough for 90% of the B8 A4-A5s out there. The 1R Material in combination with the clamping power of the R-Series pressure plate is fantastic for mild builds to even big turbo 2.0Ts due to the way a Turbo 4 Cylinder delivers power.
These are the same clutch discs used for our B8 S4 and S5 R-Series Clutch Packages!
Click to enlarge picture
JHM LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL AND CLUTCH COMBO SPECIFICATIONS
FLYWHEEL SPECIFICATIONS: At JHM, we have weighed over a dozen OEM flywheels. We have seen a wide range of weight variances even on flywheels with the same part number! On average, the JHM Lightweight Flywheel weighs 8 to 10 lbs less compared to the OEM BB8 A4-A5 2.0T-3.2L FSI Flywheel.
- 43% increase in clamp load torque holding capacity over the already stout JHM Performance SAC Pressure Plate.
- The stiffness of the clutch pedal is increased by about 25%.
- Better clutch pedal control and modulation is achieved through our spring design.
- The spring pressure is much more linear than the B8 A4-A5 pressure plate making the clutch pedal behavior more predictable in the uptake of the pedal and engagement point of the clutch disc.
- Thicker pressure plate straps increase the longevity and durability of the Pressure Plate.
- The JHM R Series Pressure Plate has been designed to work with our JHM Lightweight Flywheel so any B8 customer with our current clutch and flywheel kit will be able to upgrade to the R Series by just purchasing this product.
- JHM Aluminum and Machined Steel 2-Piece Lightweight Flywheel
- 6x Flywheel to Flexplate Bolts
- 1x JHM R-Series Pressure Plate
- 1x Clutch Disc - Stage 1R (Performance Organic), Stage 3R (Ceramic-Metal Backed Organic Hybrid), or Stage 5R (Proprietary Ceramic). Select your Disc Material from the dropdown below
- 6x Pressure Plate to Flywheel Bolts
- 1x OEM B8 A4-A5 Throwout Bearing
- 1x OEM B8 A4-A5 Guide Sleeve
FITMENT: All B8 A4-A5 2.0T-3.2L FSI with 6-Speed Manual Transmissions
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS AND TORQUE NOTES: These are NOTES ONLY are not a substitute for factory installation manuals or technical expertise. They are to be used a supplemental guideline only. We always recommend that an experienced technician perform ALL clutch and flywheel installations. For shops or individuals who have access to factory manuals but not factory tools, here are some tips and guidelines we have used to complete this job without the factory tools:
- The JHM Lightweight Flywheel installs in the same manner as the OEM Flywheel. Follow the OEM installation and torque procedures.
- Aligning the clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel assembly: Install the throwout bearing/sleeve onto the transmission. For alignment of the clutch disc it is easiest to put the flywheel face-up, place and align the disc splines on center with the center bearing in the flywheel, put the pressure plate on top, visually check that the disc is still on center, and begin to tighten and torque the pressure plate. The pressure plate bolts need to be secured with red, high-strength Loctite. Make sure the pressure plate bolts are tightened in a star pattern at multiple torque intervals. This is to make sure that the pressure plate diaphragm or fingers are not distorted upon installation. Once the pressure plate is fully torqued to the flywheel with red Loctite to factory specifications (33 ft-lbs, in intervals), the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel combination can now be slid onto the transmission as you would a torque converter on an Automatic Transmission. If the assembly will not slip on the transmission, this is most likely due to the fact that the disc is not on center. Remove the pressure plate and attempt to re-align the disc. **NOTE: We've successfully aligned the assembly by following the above procedure. It is not that difficult to "eyeball" the alignment.
- Once the clutch and flywheel combo are installed in the transmission, the half-shaft can be re-installed (this prevents the clutch and flywheel from falling out of the transmission while attempting re-installation). Install and bolt the transmission to the engine. Install the JHM supplied bolts for attaching the flywheel to the flexplate. Torque the flyweel to flexplate bolts to factory specifications. This is done in a similar fashion to torquing down a torque converter to a flexplate on an Automatic Transmission.
BREAK IN PROCEDURE: Clutch break-in is important and must be done properly.
Clutch break in is important and must be done properly. All R Series Clutch Discs have a break in period of 500 miles. This means that you need to drive as much city type driving as you can for the first 500 miles after the disc is installed. Each time you start from a stop or shift, it aids in break in of the clutch material. Highway mileage does not count. You MUST avoid any racing activities, launching, or aggressive driving that gets the clutch hot during this period.
For shipping quotes: Please sign in or join then put the items you want in your shopping cart and proceed to checkout.
By Purchasing any Off-Road use ONLY products from JH Motorsports, Inc. I acknowledge and understand the following disclosure. (This notice is located at the bottom of the page description of affected products on our website.)Vehicle Code § 27156:
(b) No person shall operate or leave standing upon a highway a motor vehicle that is required to be equipped with a motor vehicle pollution control device under Part 5 (commencing with Section 43000) of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code or any other certified motor vehicle pollution control device required by any other state law or any rule or regulation adopted pursuant to that law, or required to be equipped with a motor vehicle pollution control device pursuant to the National Emission Standards Act (42 U.S.C. Secs. 7521 to 7550, inclusive) and the standards and regulations adopted pursuant to that federal act, unless the motor vehicle is equipped with the required motor vehicle pollution control device that is correctly installed and in operating condition. No person shall disconnect, modify, or alter any such required device.
(c) No person shall install, sell, offer for sale, or advertise any device, apparatus, or mechanism intended for use with, or as a part of, a required motor vehicle pollution control device or system that alters or modifies the original design or performance of the motor vehicle pollution control device or system. Health and Safety Code § 43000:
43001. The provisions of this part shall not apply to:
(a) Racing vehicles.
As the aforementioned code sections outline, it is against the law to operate or use a vehicle on public streets or highways with modified, altered, or disconnected motor vehicle pollution control devices. This may include but is not limited to, Evaporative Fuel Controls, Catalysts, DPF, PTOX, PCV Systems, Exhaust Gas Recirculation Systems, Oxygen Sensors, Thermostatic Air Cleaners, Air Intake Systems, Fuel Injectors, Regulators, Adjustable Cam Gears, ECU Programming, Mapping, or other Computer Modifications. Air Pumps, Air Injection, Timing, and any other Emission System Modification(s).
Purchaser acknowledges and certifies to JH Motorsports Inc., that Purchasers vehicle will only be used for racing applications or off road vehicle use only. Purchaser requests these modifications for the purpose of enhancing the vehicle for competitive Racing Applications and will not use this vehicle on public streets or highways. Purchaser agrees to indemnify JH Motorsports Inc., all employees, officers, owners, and subsidiaries for any civil or criminal liability arising out of use of Purchasers vehicle on public streets or highways as Purchaser has been duly notified of the laws and regulations regarding disconnecting, alteration, or modification of a vehicle’s pollution control devices. Purchaser understands and has been advised the driving of a vehicle on public streets or highways could result in criminal or civil penalties.
Warning: This product may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
Learn More: www.p65warnings.ca.gov